Probation - Frequently Asked Questions


What is probation? How long will I be placed on probation?
Probation is an alternative to incarceration. The length of Probation is determined by the judge at the time of sentencing.

What is the difference between Reporting and Non-reporting probation?
Reporting probation means that you must report to your probation officer. Generally, you will report once per month. Non-reporting probation means that you need not report to your probation officer during the balance of your probation.
How does house arrest work?
The defendant is under the supervision of Gallipolis Municipal Court, but remains in his/her own home instead of being incarcerated. The defendant wears an electronic monitoring device to ensure compliance. The defendant pays for the cost of the monitoring device.

If my license has been suspended by this court as a result of a DUI conviction, how can I obtain driving privileges?
You must file a written motion for limited driving privileges. The cost to file this motion is $20.00. The judge reviews and rules on your request.


May I perform community service in lieu of paying my fines?
The judge may grant the defendant the opportunity to perform community service in lieu of paying fines and costs. A $8.00 credit toward the amount due will be granted for each hour worked. The probation department schedules community service.

Are appointments for the Probation Department available on Saturday or Sunday?
No. The Probation Department is open from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.

How many points are on my driving record?
The number of points accumulated on a person’s driving record can be found by contacting the Bureau of Motor Vehicles. A link to the Ohio Department of Public Safety is on the "LINKS" page.

Can I have my DUI conviction expunged?
No. Traffic offense convictions cannot be expunged.